Monday, January 19, 2009

Overriding Thoughts

1. I do NOT agree with most of what Eugene residents vote as "best XXX" in the annual Best of Eugene awards. In fact, through trial and error, I have largely learned to steer clear of anything voted a "best." Especially anything ethnic.

2. Brewpubs tend to be very good around here. Beer, food and service are all above average.

3. Service tends to be slow everywhere. Whether you go to a brewpub or a fine dining establishment, expect your dinner to take an hour and a half to two hours -- and that doesn't include waiting for a table. I think it's because life is slower-paced here in the Pacific Northwest than it is in Washington, D.C., so no one is in a hurry. This took me a long time to get used to.

4. There are very good vegetarian options around here. That's a plus. Most restaurants I've tried offer decent vegetarian options -- good in both variety and flavor.

5. There aren't a ton of "middle of the road" options. There are some very good fine-dining options (the kind that will set you back $100 for a dinner for two), and there are some good pubs and sandwich-type restaurants. But I haven't found a lot of good eats at moderate prices. Sure, I've found moderately priced places, but they weren't good. Maybe I just haven't found them yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment